Wednesday, January 31, 2024

Weeping in Bethany

Lazarus' sister weeping

I have had some hard things happen lately--like knock me off my feet hard. My heart was in a constant state of weeping. I cried out to my Father in Heaven and asked Him, "Where is the fulfillment of Your promises to me?" I was not doubting He could fulfill them. I KNEW and still KNOW He can accomplish His word. I just wasn't seeing it happen and I have been suffering for a while now. I have on two occasions reminded the Lord that, while a thousand years is as a day to Him, it is a thousand years to me.

While I was pouring out my heart to Him a phrase came to my mind. "You are in Bethany." Now, I have had the Spirit nudge me, comfort me, direct me, and remind me of things, but this felt more cryptic. So, I pondered. What does that mean? That is when the light came.

One of Jesus's closest friends, Lazarus, was ill. His sister's, Mary and Martha, sent word to Jesus saying, “Lord, behold, he whom You love is sick (John 11:3).” The passage talks about Jesus's love for this precious family and yet, Jesus put off going. He put off going even though He knew it meant Lazarus would die. Why would He do that? Because Jesus knew the bigger plan.

When He got there, the sisters expressed their faith in Him and seeing their grief, and probably feeling His own sadness about His friends and what they've suffered, grieved with them.

Jesus wept. He wept knowing the goodness to come because pain is profoundly undeniable. Those surrounding them from the village saw Jesus's love for Lazarus and questioned why the One who could give the blind sight did not come and heal His friend.

Then comes the plan.

After four days in the tomb, Jesus cried out, "Lazarus, Come forth (John 11:43)." And he did.

What once was dead, now lived.

This is what the Spirit was telling me. I am in the four days, when the promises seem dead. I am weeping in Bethany. But (which is one of my favorite words in the Scriptures) God knows the plan. He will call His word and promises forth.

As a gentle reminder to me this morning, as I was reading my scriptures, I came to 2 Nephi 6:11.

"...for they shall not be ashamed who wait for Me."

I may be weeping in Bethany right now, but the day of rejoicing is coming.

No comments: