Saturday, March 12, 2011

Service

 

anointing

I missed blogging last weekend. This working four jobs is killing me right now, so I fell behind. You’d think working four jobs would provide enough money for my family, but I inherited a lot of debt in the divorce, so we’re still barely squeaking by. Heaven forbid something break down or someone get sick.  Uuugh! One day things won’t be so tough. Hopefully soon because I’m pooped! I actually found myself singing Somewhere, Over the Rainbow the other day longingly.

My children are worth it though. I don’t mind pouring myself out for people I love so desperately. When I’m exhausted and every part of my body aches, and I don’t think I can do one more day, I look into their faces and think, “Yes, I can. I must. For their sakes.” Well, enough about me.

My Relief Society lesson this week is on service, so I’ve been thinking about the topic a lot. Plus, a good friend and I have been having many discussions on the topic. I came across this passage that I keep meditating on. I see more and more meaning in it all the time.

“For behold, it is not meet that I should command in all things; for he that is compelled in all things, the same is a slothful and not a wise servant; wherefore he receiveth no reward. Verily I say, men should be anxiously engaged in a good cause, and do many things of their own free will, and bring to pass much righteousness;” D&C 58: 26-27

These verses are just pregnant with so much important information. Heavenly Father wants us to obey and serve on our own. He doesn’t want to have to tell us each and every item to do in that arena. He’s given us intelligence and agency. We’re to go and do. It reminds me a little of when I am telling my children to clean their room. Once they have the cognitive abilities, I should not have to sit there and say, “Now go put the books on the shelf. Great. Now pick up your dirty clothes.” I should just have to say, “Go clean your room.” They are intelligent enough to know what that entails.

When they are even more mature, I shouldn’t even have to tell them to clean their room. It should be a responsibility they do completely without compulsion. In case you’re wondering…..they’re not there yet.

The concept is the same for us. Heavenly Father shouldn’t have to say, “Lisa is having a challenging week. Go help her around the house.” or “Brother Carlyle just lost his job. Why don’t you see if you can help buy their children their school uniforms to take some pressure off of him.” Instead we are to be anxiously engaged in good causes, doing them of our own freewill, just as he taught us in D&C 58. We need to be looking for opportunities to serve.

Heavenly Father has given each of us gifts that uniquely qualify us to serve the body of Christ. I have enjoyed getting to tutor a young man in college algebra this week. That was unique act of service I could do. Wouldn’t it be great if each day we woke up and looked for someone to serve that day? Wouldn’t the body of Christ be much more the way Heavenly Father intended? What will it feel like to get to judgment day and have Heavenly Father say, “You brought to pass much righteousness. Well done My good and faithful servant”? 

Maybe it will help if we remember, “When ye are in the service of your fellow beings, ye are only in the service of your God.”

Well, I know this is a short one, but I’ve still got so much to do tonight. I try to look on the bright side when I’m overwhelmed. At least there isn’t much chance of me getting bored.

No comments: