Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Seek Ye First

Because of my circumstances I tend to guard my time, so when the Rogers came and offered to take my children to a movie this afternoon my first thought was, "Great. I'll get some uninterrupted work done." God had other plans.

Across the street live a family of Muslims from Turkey. We've always been very friendly with them, although sometimes the language barrier is difficult. Today her mother came over to invite me to tea. Yes, don't worry, I follow the word of wisdom. I was a little frustrated because I was really wanting to use this time to work, but I knew it would be considered an insult to decline. So off I trotted across the street.

I asked for water instead of tea, which led to a whole host of questions. They had an interpreter there, so we were able to converse very well. For the last two hours I have gotten to share our faith with them. What beautiful spirits were in that room and how open they were to learning about my faith. It was such a glorious time.

I see the hand of our Heavenly Father in sending someone to take my children out today so the conversation about faith could go so much more smoothly and uninterrupted. I'm sure He is much more interested in using my time to share the gospel than in accomplishing those things I deem so important. I was slightly worried about how much time I was losing for work, but the verse kept coming to my mind, "Seek ye first the kingdom of God, and all these things shall be added unto you."

I'm confident as I use my time to share the gospel, minister to the needy, prepare my relief society lesson, and study hymns for my other calling as chorister that Heavenly Father will provide a way for me to use my time more effectively in providing for my family.

Please pray for this dear family from Turkey and their visiting mother to be open to the gospel. I just brought them a restoration DVD and they were excited to view it. I'm looking forward to how the Spirit will use this opportunity in both of our lives.

1 comment:

Eudaimonia said...

You are so lovely! Thanks for sharing this tender, beautiful, experience!