Saturday, February 3, 2024

Reflection: Choosing Site Host & Builder

Note: This is for my web business creation class and not my typical blog post. If you're here and you're not my instructor, you can totally skip this. There are plenty of more interesting posts.

This week we researched site builders as well as hosting platforms for websites. I had already been doing this because a mentor had been nagging...I mean reminding... me that I need to get my author site done.

The hardest part for me was the fact that I am also a software development major so part of me had been like, "I want to build this site myself from scratch." Yet the reality was between working my content writer job, my fiction writing, going to university, and still having one child left at home that I homeschool, there really wasn't much time to build my site. Because this class requires us to get a site up rather quickly, a site builder suddenly became very attractive.

I decided to pick a builder that would allow me more flexibility in customization, so I feel like I'm doing something creative with it. I can still build a site from scratch and switch it over when it's ready but have something which will get that site up quickly and then this mentor will shut up... I mean feel satisfied.

The host I chose would have been the same regardless of how I built the site, so there was no internal angst on that one.

I'd say the biggest takeaway from this week was in deciding on metrics to compare companies. Was bandwidth or price more important? Did customization matter more or the number of templates? What was their tech support like when things glitched? There were so many factors. We could only pick three metrics, so which were more important to me? Forcing me to prioritize was a great exercise in decision making.

No comments: