Saturday, February 24, 2024

REFLECTION: Google Ads Keywords

*Note: This is a required post for my web business creation class. If you're not Br. Scott, skip it. It will mean nothing to you.

This was a tough week for me. I was already behind because of the writing conference I had been to the week before and then I came home and immediately got COVID. It was a really tough case too. I can only sit up for short periods of time. The good news is that I still completed my assignments.

I've been reflecting on the keyword planner a lot. I'm having difficulty coming up with appropriate keywords, especially negative keywords. I don't know if this is because I am terrible at using the keyword planner or because Google Ads is not the typical way that authors use to get their work out there. In the fiction writing industry especially, there is almost a parallel economy going on. We are a close knit group too and tend to share what works.

As far as ads go, most authors feel that Facebook Ads bring better results than Google Ads. They also swear by mailing lists to communicate with their super readers directly. These super readers are like a street team that get the word out for you. Another important tool is Bookfunnel that allows us to give away free stories and build our mailing list.

It used to be that you could depend on your publisher to do most of the marketing work for you. Unfortunately, these days, unless you are what is known as the "super lead", which is the top author for a publishing house, you're not likely to get any marketing money put toward your work.

If there is an effective way to leverage Google Ads toward this and I learned it, I would be a hero in the writing industry as I passed on the information to other writers. If you have some ideas, I am all ears. In the meantime, I am doing the assignments and seeing if I can discern something useful for this venue.

No comments: